Saturday, June 03, 2006

Dinner with Grandparents

Apperantly, Daddy talked to UncleG (BioM's Step-Bro) and he said GrandpaP (BioM's dad) is suppose to have surgery. So, I took the truck over there and talked with Grandma & Grandpa P. Well, Grandpa didn't mention it. And I didn't ask. If its a "possibility" he wont say anything to me unless its definate, because he knows I'll worry too much. So, I'm gonna keep my ears open for any definate news.

Grandpa is doing real good. He's got a colostamy bag, but he's had that for atleast 8 years now. He got it when I was working at the hospital. It was a conflict of interests when he was admitted (according to hospital regulations) and I had to be moved to a different department during his stay. (He was never admitted into the Geri-Psych Ward, I floated all over the hospital. That just happened to be my week in the Surgery dept.)

Grandma made Cornbread, Cabbage, fried chicken, gravy & mashed potatoes. *Yummy* I got to stay and eat dinner with them. It was great. Before I moved back home, the lastime I had seen my grandfather was at my wedding. That was a LONG time. First thing I did when I moved back home (last June) was go visit him and I make it a point to try and stop by atleast once a month. Even if it is just for 15-20 mins. I went over about 5 and just got home. He's alive and kicking. Thats all that matters to me at this point. I spent alot of time over at thier house when I was a little baby, before daddy and BioM got a divorce/seperated. Then Daddy married MomJ (Raquel's mom) and Raquel and I spent alot of time over at my AuntB's.

My whole point is, I missed it alot over there at Grandpa's. Everyday after school when we lived in a house right next to them I would go over there and spend hours. It was there that I stayed when I got chicken pox. He asked me tonight if I remember SantaClaus walking down the street with a sac of toys when I was 6. Me and one of my cousins was there. I don't remember that. But it was nice going down memory lane with them just the same.

Everytime daddy says "I need to talk to you about your grandpa" I get this feeling of dread. I know he's not in the best of health anymore. And its scary. He's the only grandpa I've ever truly known and that means alot to me. And the fact that he has been such a prominant person in my life is heartwarming. His wife's father, GrandpaF use to make Buiscuts and Gravy in the mornings and GrandpaP and I would walk over to his house down the street and visit with him. I remember that. I miss that. I remember when GrandpaF died and being too young to understand why I couldn't go eat buiscuits and gravy with GrandpaF.

I vauagely remember GrandpaY (Great Grandfather, BioM's Mom's Dad) the only memory I have of him, I was about 2 y/o and he was at the Veteran's Hospital in LR. And then he died. I remember everyone being concerned about GrandmaY and whether or not she would last long after him. And she did tho. I was 13/14 y/o when she passed away. I took care of her the summer before she died. I'm glad I had that chance to stay with her and help her. It kept her out of a nursing home. And thats what the family wanted.

I never got to meet my dad's dad. He was murdered when daddy was about 8/9 years old. But GrandmaB was a riot. I loved her so much. When she died I thought I was going to die. I was 15. It wasn't but maybe a year after GrandmaY passed. Man, that was hard. I remember standing there thinking (about GrandmaB) she's just asleep, she's going to wake up any second now and say she was just fooling. But she never woke up. And I gave her a kiss on the cheek n said "I love you", which made my dad cry even harder. And then they put her in the ground.

I need to go see GrandmaJ (BioM's mom -- my grandparents are divorced) and the rest of my family that's in Russellville. I havn't seen or talked to them in forever. Sad to say it, but even tho family means alot to me, I havn't always been real close with them. When I was younger, I was. I would talk to each of my Aunts and Uncles atleast once a month and see them ever so often, my cousins as well. But after I got married and moved away, it just slipped through my fingers, time did. And I'm getting older, thier getting older and it feels like time is running out. CousinR and I are the closest in age on BioM's side of the family, atleast the closest in age that I was close to! When he and his wife seperated, I'm the one he called and I'm the one that was there for him. My cell phone, Evanescences "Broken" is what plays when he calls. I know, most would think that is a rather odd song for cousins, but we're more like Brother and Sister than anything. We've always been there for each other.

I guess that's enough about my family! It helps talking about them. I plan on going and seeing my GrandpaP as much as I can. He's getting older in his years and his health is declining. I don't want to have ANY regrets when it comes to my Grandpa. I missed the last chance I had to see my GrandmaB before she got real bad and passed away and I wont let that happen again. (I was stupid and got hurt, broke my ankle so I couldn't go down that summer vacation and see her, she passed away 2 months later) It had been a year since I had last seen her when she passed away. I wont do that again. I wont let that happen again. Which is why I have such a strong urge to go see GrandmaJ. Its been since BEFORE I got married since I've seen her. talked to her on the phone a few times, I've been promising to go see her, and the first thing I'm doing when I get my truck is making a trip to R'ville and seeing her and ALL my family I can get ahold of down there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog! I always enjoy the insight and views from my readers. Have a fantabulous day!!