Thursday, October 15, 2009

when wearing a support brace can be good...or bad...

You're able to walk faster: aka roughly 2 miles in about 30 minutes...but faster than the 1 mile in 1 hour I was doing when we first started walking again post surgery!

I've gained a few lbs...some of my shirts are "snug" in the belly section...Wearing my brace to work will hide this fact and I won't feel so self-conscious...or maybe I will still feel self-conscious because that's just the way I am.

I look "skinnier" with the brace on. But I have a "muffin top" under my boobage instead of on my hips.

I sweat excessively with that brace on... It's hot. Sweating around my belly is good thing, right? Sweat the fat away??

The 10 lbs I lost. Gained back 5. I blame my period last week. I have no self control when I'm bloating and cramping and dying.

Pluses: hides the weight I've gained and allows me to walk fast because I'm not worrying about "losing my balance" because it suports me...

Minuses: muffin top and excessive sweating.

Homer complains that its cold. In the summer she complains its cold. She has maintenance crank up the heater in the winter leaving the rest of us hot & miserable... Sigh. I literally dress for summer in the winter while I'm at work...I am however looking forward to getting my first paycheck in 3 months! Part of me can't wait to go back to work!! Just over a week away!! My Dr. Appt is next week for my release!!

7 comments:

  1. I think that if anyone even glances at where your shirt might be "snug" around the tummy, you just look at them and say, "What? I am wearing a back brace bitches! What's your excuse?"

    You're welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. its much easier than that: the back brace goes on the outside of your clothes not the inside... which what makes me self conscious the most. its not like i can hide it... it irritates the skin...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't feel self conscious. And congrats on losing the 10 lbs. I'm sure you look great and you're still on the road to recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...I thought the brace went inside too. LOL

    You are doing so great! :) You rock girl!

    And...thanks for listening to me bitch today! You are a great friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i could wear it under my clothes, but i'd have to wear a tanktop under my shirt... and that'd be ok (hot but ok) but alot of my shirts are "white" and my only tanktops are black & hot pink. I guess I should maybe invest in a few white tanktops and wear them under my work clothes... i know its medically necessary but the brace really doesn't look professional at all and it does make me more self conscious...and i know that if i wear it under my clothes it looks like i'm wearing a girdle and i think i'd rather just look "unprofessional" that have anyone consider at all that i'm wearing a girdle! after all, it is medically necessary and they can not dictate to me where i can or can not wear the brace.

    ya'll are so awesome! i love you gals <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. How much longer will you have to wear your brace?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure, Mejis... I get "stronger" everyday... walking long distances and standing for long periods of time (like cooking and cleaning) and sitting at the computer desk for long periods of time cause me to be really achy and sore and I need it to help keep me in good posture while doing those activities... I figure I'll probably have to wear it until the physical therapist (if he even prescribes it which I'm positive he will) says I'm ok without it...

    I'm just thrilled I don't have to wear it constantly anymore! for the 1st 2 months I had to wear it while sitting on the couch and everything except when in the shower and in bed sleeping... For the 1st 2 weeks I wasn't supose to sit on the couch at all!!! and I had hemroids (its a common side affect from surgery) which made sitting on a hard surface even worse. I had to sit in a dining room chair with a pillow under my bum bum.

    I'm hoping that by the end of the year with help of physical therapy I wont have to wear it anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog! I always enjoy the insight and views from my readers. Have a fantabulous day!!